Tel: (800) 533-3960

Menu

NOTEWORTHY

Willet windows today can be found in churches and historic buildings in all 50 states and 14 foreign countries. Among the thousands of Willet creations are windows in the National Cathedral and the National Presbyterian Church in Washington DC; St. John the Divine Cathedral and the chapel at the United Nations in New York; and Grace and St. Mary’s Cathedrals in San Francisco, CA. For the 1964 New York World’s Fair, the Studio designed and fabricated the panels for an entire nine-story building constructed of faceted glass.

Willet Studio originally gained significant recognition in 1910 in a special international competition for stained glass window design and installation at West Point Military Academy. Twenty-six studios entered the competition - one of which was the famed Tiffany Studios of New York.

Willet Studio Recognition At 1910 International Competition For Stained Glass Window Design And Installation At West Point Military Academy

Willet was the winner, and in the long range project installed lancets which are tall, narrow windows with a pointed arch top. They were contracted to install two lancets each year for 66 years - one lancet in honor of each year’s graduating class and one in memory of the graduating class of 120 years previous. Completed in 1976, it remains the longest continuing commission in the history of American stained glass.

Willet Hauser Architectural Glass® has received many coveted awards - from the American Institute of Architects and others - for their fine works. Recent awards include the President’s Award for Product/Service of the Year by the Baltimore Chapter of American Institute of Architects and a Craftsmanship Award for stained glass restoration from the Baltimore Building Congress and Exchange.

The history of stained glass is full of talented people who have created an impressive body of work. We have windows in every state and many overseas. Following are samples of some of our more noteworthy windows.

Reform Congregational Keneseth Israel, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania

Collaboration With Jacob Landau For 'The Prophetic Quest' Stained Glass Windows At Reform Congregational Keneseth Israel, Elkins Park, PN

The stained glass windows at Reform Congregation Keneseth Israel in Elkins Park, PA are the result of our collaboration with well-known artist and teacher Jacob Landau. His visionary interpretation of “The Prophetic Quest” was translated into stained glass in a series of ten windows each over 24 feet tall by five feet wide, depicting various Patriarchs and Prophets starting with Abraham and ending with Job. They are rendered in a kaleidoscope of color and animated with rich symbolism. Calligraphy in both English and Hebrew add to its iconography.

Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist
Spokane, Washington

Willet Hauser Stained Glass Windows At The Cathedral Of St. John The Evangelist, Spoken, WA

The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist in Spokane, WA, a rare example of classic Gothic architecture in the United States, houses a tremendous collection of our traditional, figural work. When the historic stained glass firm Charles J. Connick and Associates closed its doors in 1986 we were invited to continue the work that they began in the late 1920s.

To date, we have designed and installed 5 four-lancet nave clerestory windows and five single-panel high sacristy windows, according to the designs of artist, Kenneth Crocker.

THE CATHEDRAL OF THE SACRED HEART,
WINONA, Minnesota

Collaboration With Charles Z. Lawrence For Stained Glass Windows At The Cathedral Of The Sacred Heart, Winona, MN

After finishing major renovations in 2007, the Cathedral clergy began working with Willet Hauser to establish a plan to integrate the windows in the new entrance, narthex and meeting room areas.

The Sacred Heart window (located above the entrance) was given to the cathedral as a gift from the Hauser family in memory of James and Genevieve Hauser. Designed by Charles Z. Lawrence, the work is a masterful example of Lawrence’s contemporary take on a traditional theme.

GRACE CATHEDRAL,
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA

Tow-Lancet Window With Rose Tracery By Marguerite Gaudin At Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, CA

Long-time studio designer Marguerite Gaudin designed a series of six two-lancet windows with rose tracery for San Francisco’s Grace Cathedral depicting the theme of renewal. Designed in 1964, the work is an example of Gaudin’s departure from the traditional leaded glass design aesthetic and exhibits her contemporary approach. The studio’s six windows are part of a larger collection of art at the cathedral which includes stained glass works by Charles Connick, Gabriel Loire and an altar piece by Keith Haring.

Brown Memorial Park Avenue Presbyterian Church, Baltimore, Maryland

Willet Hauser Architectural Glass Historic Restoration Of Windows For Brown Memorial Park Avenue Presbyterian Church, Baltimore, MA

In 2003, Willet Hauser Architectural Glass® completed the historic restoration of two large Tiffany windows for Brown Memorial Park Avenue Presbyterian Church, located in the historic Bolton Hill neighborhood of Baltimore, Maryland. Each measuring 32 feet tall by 16 feet wide, they are considered two of the largest Tiffany windows in the world. Willet Hauser Architectural Glass® and its craftspeople were proud to receive the 2003 Craftsmanship Award for stained glass restoration given by the Baltimore Building Congress and Exchange in recognition of the high quality of craftsmanship exhibited in the care and protection of the stained glass windows at Brown Memorial Park Avenue Presbyterian Church.

ST. JOHN’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH,
LAFAYETTE SQUARE, WASHINGTON, DC

St. John's Episcopal Church The Last Supper Stained Glass Window Restoration By Willet Hauser, Washington DC St. John's Episcopal Church The Good Samaritan Stained Glass Window Restoration By Willet Hauser, Washington DC

Willet Hauser was honored to care for the restoration of the historic stained glass windows at St. John’s Episcopal Church in Washington DC. Known as “The Church of the Presidents” and registered as a national historic landmark, St. John’s Episcopal Church in Lafayette Square’s first service was held in October 1816. From that time to the present, every President of the United States has attended a service at St. John’s.

~